Good Health & Wellness in Indian Country
We aim to provide leadership, technical assistance, training, and resources to the 27 American Indian Tribes, Bands, Pueblos, and Nations within the IHS Administrative Area to promote community level changes that support health and wellness and prevent and manage type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke and their associated risk factors, such as commercial tobacco use, physical inactivity, and unhealthy diet. This initiative is funded by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Learn about our specific strategies to achieve these aims by clicking the links below.
1) Increase access to and use of traditional and other healthy foods and beverages;
2) Improve opportunities for physical activity; and/or
3) Reduce commercial tobacco abuse and eliminate second-hand smoke exposure.
Tribal Commercial Tobacco Prevention and Control Project
Key activities include:
- Inform stakeholders about the burden of commercial tobacco use, while honoring sacred uses of traditional tobacco
- Convene a multidisciplinary tribal tobacco coalition in the IHS Albuquerque Area
- Learn about the Southwest Tribal Tobacco Coalition
- Assess existing strengths, needs, and capacity for commercial tobacco control/prevention activities
- Offer trainings on best practices for commercial tobacco prevention and control
- Develop culturally appropriate small media to promote commercial tobacco prevention and control
- Provide tribal sub-awards to pilot test, implement, and evaluate commercial tobacco prevention and control initiatives that:
- Increase the number of tribal members protected from second-hand commercial tobacco smoke
- Decrease exposure to commercial tobacco marketing and availability of commercial tobacco products
Health Communities, Healthy Ways, Keep Tobacco Sacred: An eGuide for Tribal Communities
This Keep Tobacco Use Sacred eGuide was designed to assist tribal communities and organizations to identify resources, learn established best practices, and take action to implement comprehensive community-based, commercial tobacco prevention and control initiatives.
Good Health and Wellness Program Director
Commercial Tobacco Control and Prevention Coordinator